About Accounting & Finance – Bbs (honours) in Limerick Institute of Technology
What is the programme about?
The Bachelor of Business (Honours) in Accounting & Finance (Level 8) ab initio is a four year degree programme. It is structured to address many of the competence requirements of professional Accountancy bodies and to give students a range of learning experiences tailored to careers in Accounting and Finance. The practical focus of the programe ensures that on completion you will be a work-ready graduate with employment opportunities in professional accounting practice, commerce, industry, government, the not-for-profit sector and secondary school teaching. Alongside the development of your accountancy and finance knowledge, there is a strong focus on developing your management skills to ensure that when you graduate you have the high-level transferable skills that employers are seeking. This programme assumes no previous knowledge of accounting, finance or economics.
The programme is recognised by leading professional accountancy bodies including: CAI, ACCA, CIMA, CPA and IIPA. It has also been recognised by the Teaching Council as fulfilling its degree requirement for registration as a postprimary teacher, subject to the complete programme of study being undertaken at LIT (Moylish). As with any other degree, a teaching qualification such as the Professional Diploma in Education is also required.
Who is the programme suited to?
This ab initio programme will suit students who can commit to a full four year programme of study. (Ab-initio means “from the beginning”). This programme is suited to students who have an interest in the financial aspects of business, enjoy working with numbers and people, have good communication skills and enjoy a challenge.
Top 3 Reasons
1. Exemptions are available from the examinations of the following professional bodies:
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI).
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA);
- Institute of Chartered Public Accountants of Ireland (CPA);
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA);
- Institute of Incorporated Public Accountants (IIPA);
- Irish Taxation Institute (ITI);
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA);
2. This programme has been accepted by the Registration Council for Secondary Teachers as fulfilling its Degree requirements for registration, subject to the complete programme of study being undertaken at LIT. As with any other Degree, a teaching qualification such as the H.Dip in Education is also required.
3. This programme has very focused course content that has been developed around graduate feedback and with today’s employment market in mind.
Graduates have an excellent record of achieving training positions at leading firms such as PWC, Deloitte (DTTL), EY Ireland (Ernst & Young), Grant Thornton, BDO, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, BNY Mellon and Northern Trust among others. Career opportunities include: Trainee Accountant, Trainee Tax Advisor, Auditor, Funds Analyst and general management opportunities across a range of organisations.
“The BBS (Honours) in Accounting & Finance (Level 8) at LIT offers a great grounding for the accounting professional exams, allowing a terrific level of exemptions for graduates”
Leaving Certificate: A minimum of 2 H5 & 4 O6/H7 grades in six Leaving Certificate subjects, including Mathematics and English or Irish. FETAC Applicants and Mature Applicants: Refer to section ‘Entry Requirements’ for further information.
Please visit www.cao.ie for further information on how to apply to this course.
IELTS score for entry to undergraduate courses a minimum score of 5.5