About BA (honours) Graphic Design in Sheffield Hallam University
Develop your personal and professional design practice with this interdisciplinary visual communication course.
- Gain the technical knowledge, practical skills and self–confidence essential for a career in the creative industries and beyond.
- Develop a portfolio of applied projects that demonstrate your strengths.
- Have the opportunity to work abroad — with Erasmus funding available for European placements.
- Explore the breadth of graphic design through its diverse media and applications.
Graphic design responds to social, technological, economic and political challenges — this course equips you to create solutions, tell stories and communicate change. Projects and workshops are at the centre of your studies, with ongoing tutorials, formative feedback sessions and project reviews across the year.
You will have the opportunity to arrange a year-long work placement in between your second and third years. This gives you a real-world experience to prepare you for your future career.
There are live projects throughout the course which give you experience working on real problems and opportunities.
Our students have worked with the NHS and social change charity Good Things Foundation, with theatre company Third Angel, and design studios and agencies such as Why Not Associates and Graphic Thought Facility.
This course prepares you for a career in
- graphic design
- user experience design
- designing for environments and three-dimensional spaces
- editorial and digital publishing
- motion graphics and animation
- illustration and printmaking
- branding and identity
- design strategy and policy making
- teaching and lecturing
Applicants with the following qualifications from India will be considered for entry on to undergraduate programmes
- Standard XII with an average score of 65 per cent
- A levels
- International Baccalaureate
- HND qualifications will be considered for entry to the second or third year of a relevant undergraduate degree
Applicants who have completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at an Indian university may be considered for direct entry to Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate programmes.
For details of standard UCAS tariff points for undergraduate entry, please see the UG entry webpage.
Sheffield Hallam welcomes applications from international school students taking the International Baccalaureate Diploma and those achieving 28 points or more will usually be successful in obtaining an offer of a place on our undergraduate programmes. For information about IB points equivalencies against the UCAS tariff please visit the UCAS website.
English Language entry requirements are listed in the entry requirements section of the online prospectus. The information provided below is intended to help you understand the different English Language qualifications we will accept.
Courses at NQF Level 6 and above (includes BA, BSc, MA, MSc, MPhil, PhD)
We consider the following English language qualifications for courses at degree level (NQF Level 6) or above requiring
an IELTS for UKVI* 6.0 or equivalent entry requirement (*IELTS may be accepted if you do not require a Tier 4 student visa)
IELTS for UKVI*
- IELTS for UKVI* 6.0
- Listening: minimum level 5.5
- Speaking: minimum level 5.5
- Reading: minimum level 5.5
- Writing: minimum level 5.5
- Internet based 79
- Listening: minimum level 17
- Speaking: minimum level 20
- Reading: minimum level 18
- Writing: minimum level 17
- PTE 52
- Listening: minimum level 51
- Speaking: minimum level 51
- Reading: minimum level 51
- Writing: minimum level 51
Cambridge IGCSE English as a First Language (Syllabus 0500 and 0522)
- Grade C
- Listening: minimum Grade D (0522) or 2 (0500)
- Speaking: minimum Grade D (0522) or 2 (0500)
- Reading: minimum Grade E
- Writing: minimum Grade E
Sheffield Hallam University Highlights
||UCAS application fee is 20 -26 GBP while the direct application is free
||Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management, and others
||Scholarships, loans, discounts
Sheffield Hallam University The Average Tuition Fees And Other Expenses
|International Foundation Program
||10,250 - 12,310
||13,900 – 15,500
||13,900 – 15,965
||3,740 to 6,292
||3,740 to 6,292
*the costs are estimated and may vary.