About Biomedical Science Bsc (hons) in De Montfort University
Biomedical science is the term for the investigations carried out on samples of tissue and body fluids to diagnose disease and monitor the treatment of patients.
A biomedical science degree is highly sought after in NHS pathology centres, forensic science laboratories, research institutions and the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Successful graduates can benefit from entering a dynamic profession with long-term career prospects in research, specialised laboratory work, education and management.
Our course is professionally accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science, which enables our graduates to gain the necessary skills and qualifications sought by employers.
You’ll study a range of topics including anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology, immunology and more. Throughout the course, you’ll be exploring the analytical skills needed in modern biomedical science, along with research and diagnostic techniques.
- This course is professionally accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), ensuring students receive a well-informed, scientific education and develop practical skills and experience which prospective employers value.
- Register as a Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council after a period of clinical laboratory training (this can be completed as part of your optional placement year).
- You will study a range of topics including anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology and the basic analytical skills of modern biomedical science.
- Gain industry experience during an optional placement year. Our students have worked in a number of NHS pathology centres, as well as in research laboratories at organisations including the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Public Health England.
- Benefit from an international experience through our DMU Glzzobal programme, which has seen students conducting Biomedical Science workshops on topics including malaria and sickle cell disease to high school students in Zimbabwe.
- Our graduates have gone on to work in diagnostic laboratories in both the public and private sectors, NHS pathology centres, research institutions and the biotechnology industry, in roles as biomedical scientists, laboratory assistants, associate practitioners, pharmacology technicians, as well as lectures and researchers within Higher Education.
Minimum of 65% average in your four best subjects (excluding Hindi) in Standard 12. We may also check your standard 10 results in English and Maths
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide an IELTS certificate, or equivalent. Our undergraduate IELTS requirements are:
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.
De Montfort University Highlights
|Type of Institution
|Number of Campuses
|Number/Percentage of International Students
|Total number of Professors
|Student Satisfaction Rate
|Graduate Job Rate
|Number of Residence Vacancy
||Undergraduates- £13240 (annual) Postgraduates- £15950 (annual)
|Number of Academic Programs
||UG, PG, Part time, distance, blended
|Mode of Program
||Full time, distance and online
|Average Graduate Salary
||19800 pounds a year
De Montfort University The tuition fee (In GBP) for various programs is tabulated below:De Montfort University Average Cost
|Field of Study
|Art, Design and Humanities:
|Business and Law
||£13,750 - £14,250
|Health and Life Sciences
||£13,250 - £14,250
De Montfort University The Average Tuition Fees and Other Expenses
||Estimated cost in pounds
|Undergraduate tuition fee
|Postgraduate tuition fee
|On campus accommodation
|Average cost of living
||97-110 per week
DMU International Scholarship up to 1500 pounds
- TEF Gold Outstanding Alumni Scholarship up to 3000 pounds
- Leicester Castle Business School Scholarships:
- Global MBA Scholarship £3,000 - £5,000
- Full Postgraduate Scholarship
- LGBTQ + Allies Scholarship-two fully funded post graduate taught scholarship packages including full fee weaver and maintenance bursary.
- Vice Chancellor's Sports Scholarship- three different scholarship packages are available with eligible students being awarded up to 6000 pounds of support.