Higher Diploma In Health Science In Nursing Studies
Duration : 2 Years
Intake : Oct
Level : Undergraduate Diploma
Tuition & fees : € 10,800 Per Year
IELTS : 6.0
TOEFL : 80
PTE : 0
About this course
he overall aim of the programme is to equip prospective nurses with the knowledge, skills and competences associated with competent, caring and professional practitioners, who are committed to provide quality nursing care in a variety of health and social care settings and to their continued professional and academic development. It is in view of this that this course comprises both theoretical and practical components, with a diversified content that is designed to develop the students’ ability to draw upon the various types of knowledge, the appropriate skills and an understanding of an individual’s personal choices, to guide appropriate nursing action in a variety of settings. The programme conforms to the European Union Directives on Nursing Education and secures recognition as a first level nurse across EU member states.
The course aims to:
• Prepare prospective nurses who through critical thinking, knowledge and reflection are able to practice independently in a professional, accountable manner;
• Provide students with knowledge of the theories and concepts that underpin and challenge nursing practice;
• Provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes central to nursing to function effectively as a professional nurse; and
• Provide students with the interpersonal skills to be key members of the multidisciplinary team within any health care setting.
Course intended for
This course programme is suitable for persons who have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, in particular listening skills. Nursing is suitable for individuals who are able to work under pressure and cope well in stressful situations. Such persons should have a caring attitude, be able to show respect to clients and their colleagues and uphold professional and personal integrity. These persons need to be flexible about their working hours and have a good background in the sciences, particularly in biology.
Career opportunites and access to further studies
Completion of this programme of studies leads to registration on the general section of the nurse register of the Council for Nurses and Midwives.
Diploma holders are able to work in a variety of clinical areas, including:
• Community and home care
• School nursing
• Acute hospital settings
• Long-term and rehabilitation settings
Diploma holders are eligible to apply to join part-time programmes offered by the Faculty of Health Sciences leading to a Bachelor’s degree.