This programme of study is also offered on a part-time basis. Please consult the Registrar’s website for more information pertaining to courses offered by the University.
The Masters by Research in Aerospace is intended for candidates who have a keen interest in aerospace technology and who seek to strengthen their career path by following an MQF level 7 programme. The programme gives the candidate the opportunity to master his/her knowledge in a particular research topic in the field of aerospace.
Given the multidisciplinary nature of aerospace research, topics vary and include but are not limited to: Safety-critical surveillance system design, and design of auxiliary systems, flight deck displays, flight operations, trajectory optimisation, air traffic management, energy recovery systems, taxiing operations, UAV’s and remotely piloted aircraft systems. Candidates are encouraged to come up with their own research proposals, which can be researched further under the guidance of IAT staff.
By the end of the programme the student will be able to:
- Identify a research problem and discuss its importance and consequences;
- Develop a comprehension of multivariate or multifaceted approach of the research problem;
- Develop a literature review to establish existing approaches to solve the problem, develop a critical analysis of the literature and demonstrate awareness of the advances in the field;
- Identify a gap in the knowledge of and propose a solution to the problem identified;
- Develop models or experiments to investigate the problem further;
- Compare research results against a benchmark and demonstrate awareness of the limitations in the techniques applied;
- Demonstrate skills in time management, data handling, academic writing and presentation.
Course intended for
This course is intended for candidates in possession of a first degree related to Engineering Science, (or any other field which the board of studies deem suitable), and who seek to strengthen their career path in an aerospace related field.
Career opportunites and access to further studies
The international demand for employees who are specialised in aerospace is growing significantly. This is also expected to reflect in the national demand. The skills, knowledge and knowhow developed in the masters by research programme is of direct relevance to the overall aerospace sector. Therefore the degree will provide value to graduates seeking employment in areas ranging from airline operations, air vehicle design or aircraft maintenance. The student will also develop the academic, technical and professional skills that will enable him/her to further his/her studies in the field at a doctoral level.