The profession of quantity surveying is at the forefront of environmental economics and management. This honours degree programme has been developed in partnership with industry and is unique in providing a 12 month work placement for students in year 3 of the programme. The placement programme called the ‘Active Learning Year’ is organised by LIT and its industry partners.
There are growing demands for quantity surveying services in Ireland and internationally to achieve a more sustainable and economically efficient built environment, for example, the increasing export sector requires higher levels of sustainability and energy efficient manufacturing facilities, while the Government’s national programmes for improved energy and sustainability standards for our homes, public and commercial buildings all combine to create a demand for the specialist expertise of the quantity surveyor.
Who is the programme suited to?
The programme is suited to students from second level and mature students who wish to work in the construction industry in Ireland or abroad.
Top 3 Reasons
1. LIT’s Quantity Surveying is well known among Irish Employers as the best programme for recruiting graduates with theoretical and practical skills.
2. The Work Placement Year provides you with an opportunity to use the skills learned at LIT and apply them to real-life situations.
3. This programme is fully accredited by the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) in Ireland and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in the UK, giving it almost worldwide recognition.
“I would recommend the QS programme in LIT over anywhere else mainly due to the standard of teaching, merit & relevance of module content together with the 3rd year placement year which I found to be of huge benefit to me both in terms of self-confidence and technical awareness. Now that I am an Employer I always look first to LIT for both year out placement & graduate quantity surveyors.”
On successful completion of this programme, job opportunities for graduates include: Quantity Surveyor, Value Engineer, Energy Auditor, Environmental Cost Manager, Project Manager, Contracts Manager. Graduates from the programme can also access a new range of specialist Master of Science programmes in Quantity Surveying in LIT, namely:
• MSc in Quantity Surveying in Sustainable Public Building
• MSc in Quantity Surveying in Sustainable Civil Engineering
• MSc in Quantity Surveying in Sustainable M&E Engineering