Spain Student Visa Requirements

About Spain Student Visa Requirements

Applying for a Spanish student visa

Upon getting confirmation on enrolment for the course from the institution, you can apply for a study visa at the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country. You’ll need to apply for your visa between two and three months before you plan to travel to Spain to allow time to process your application. 

The requirements may vary from consulate to consulate but in general you’ll need to show your passport, as well as the following:

  • details of the study, training or research that you’ll be doing in Spain, including the hours of study per week (20 at least);
  • proof that you have medical insurance;
  • a medical certificate confirming that you don’t have any diseases that would require you to be quarantined;
  • proof that you have the funds to support you for the duration of your stay in Spain (eg. scholarship details, a Spanish bank showing sufficient funds or letter from parents/guardians assuming full financial responsibility);
  • information about where you’ll be living;
  • a criminal record certificate issued in the last five years by the relevant authorities in your home country.


Applying for a Spanish student residence permit/card

If you are staying in Spain for more than six months to study, you must apply for a student residence permit within 30 days of entering Spain. You apply for it at your local Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or police station. 

You’ll need to show the following documents:

  • passport or national ID valid for at least six months;
  • completed application form (available from the office);
  • photocopy of the passport stamp showing your entry into Spain;
  • acceptance documentation from the educational institution confirming the course;
  • three recent passport photos;
  • letter of residency or census registration (empadronamiento), which is merely confirmation that you’re a resident in a particular place in Spain. You can get this from the police station if you present them with your passport, rental contract or utility bill.

The card is valid for a year and you can renew it every year for five years as long as you are continuing with your studies.